Re: Re: What REALLY happened in Boston

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on January 29, 2003 at 11:25:09:

In Reply to: Re: What REALLY happened in Boston posted by Aubrey Foard on January 29, 2003 at 00:51:10:

I notice how periodically there are those who remind us how important practice is to our progress on the instrument. They are certainly correct in this. Sometimes these infer that some of us waste our time reading this board INSTEAD of practicing. In my case, I read this board IN ADDITION to practicing. I do not read everything that is posted. I pick and choose. In this way I believe I am able to glean some of the best information and opinions of those on the BBS. I do not feel it is difficult to determine who know what they are talking about and who doesn't. By being discriminating in my reading, I feel I have learned a great deal in the year or so that I have been a part of this.

I also notice how there are those who announce in a huff how they are leaving the board. They have the right to make that choice. I also don't blame them for making parting comments. I often wonder about those who seem bitter. The posts I read seem similar to generic conversation I am "subjected" to on a regular basis out in the real world. Sometimes I am around people who have great knowledge and wisdom to offer--I learn a lot. Sometimes I am around those who have little to offer--I don't learn much. Perhaps in the latter example I am able to be the one who contributes the greater good. I only hope so.

In the matter of the BSO, it seems odd that it would take three auditions to find one qualified candidate. This country has some really fine tuba players. One would think at least one of them chose to audition for the job in Boston. Maybe not!?

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: