Vacuum

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on January 30, 2003 at 02:10:26:

I am of the opinion that we as a group have isolated ourselves from the real world. I am guilty of this as well.

The recent goings on about the Boston audition and the Houston Symphony postings simply point up a flaw in this type of communication. Taking the face to face communication out of the picture means we can say and do things we wouldn't do face to face.

The vast majority of us play our instruments because we love to play. We could, in reality, care less who plays in what orchestra or band. When each of us is sitting in our favorite setting, we don't try to play like the guy in Boston, New York, Chicago, or our neighbor. We do our best, always striving to do better.

Winning an audition does not necessarily make a person a better player. It just means he/she takes an audition well. There are many players out there who play exceptionally well. Lots and lots of them are just not in major positions.

This BBS has an opportunity to promote all aspects of the tuba and euphonium in a very positive manner. There are quite a few young players who read this forum. Composers want to write for us, organizations want us to come to their performances, soloists want to create more audiences, and through it all we have this chance to follow the high road.

Sorry for the long post. I believe this can be a great forum if we let it.

Follow Ups: