Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: York 4valve Sousa

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on February 01, 2003 at 18:16:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: York 4valve Sousa posted by Could it on February 01, 2003 at 17:28:47:

Why would Conn move one of their, of the given period at least, prestige models to their 2nd line series?

But then the application of a .732 four piston valve section to a second line body of course would explain, that I see this very discussed instrument as one having a less generous back bow bore than has my Conn 40K.

I guess that Conn already then wanted to work, where the money was, so that firm orders from a school system, that wanted the benefits of the 4 piston valve section, but didn't want the weight and the price of the full top model, were followed.

Businessmen of the software industry, who are selling custom products directly to their customers don't have costs of storing inventory. But I have been close enough to several retail and wholesale companie to knows, that they despise goods, that are offered in too many variable versions. The interest burden of carrying a reasonable inventory is next to unbearable in the textile area. In the tuba industry it is more than unbearable. Several high end makers refuse to even cut the sheets of brass until confirmed orders backed by very substantial down payments have been made.

Whole countries have been bereft the opportunities to test new quality tubas within their borders. The same goes, according to TubeNetters, for a number of states in the US (how big are the selection opportunities in Alaska and Hawaii?).

All this makes me very doubtful about exactly Conn offering the 5XJ models in several finishes. If players select instruments by musical properties (which they should do), they by plain statistics are almost bound to end up with an odd finish, that they had not planned from the outset.

A brass retailer, that I am close to, downright hates the Edwards modular approach to trombone making. If he invests in a selection, the only sure result is, that his customers will be second guessing, whether they were offered enough options in the store. And that no matter how satisfied they were the day, when they bought their instrument.

I better like the oldfashioned way, where I could say: Bach trombones are nothing for me, please give me Conn and King. Besson comp euphs are thinly sounding, give me the Yamaha 64x series (whereas the exactly opposite situation rules, when it comes to Eb 3+1 comp tubas. The Besson 981 is more than 349% better than the YEB 632).

If this posting lets me appear primitive, then please let me be primitive!

Klaus

Follow Ups: