Re: Any news on new Conn F?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on January 06, 2004 at 08:05:59:

In Reply to: Any news on new Conn F? posted by Doc on January 05, 2004 at 23:35:22:

Conn had at least one prototype at ITEC in 2002, where I got a little mischevious, found a felt-tip marker, and drew the old-style Conn "naked lady" design on the bell of it - actually the Conn guys seemed to like it ;^)
As for the instrument itself, the valve tubing was wrapped in a "Tinker Toy" sort of way, using existing crooks and straight tubing and keeping all the valve tubing out and away from the body of the instrument. The bell and branches were of a good size and proportion, and if I remember correctly, the old King .689 bore valve section was used. For a production model, I would hope to see valve tubing routed in such a way as to be more integrated into the body of the instrument, which would probably benefit the playing characteristics. It would make for a more compact-feeling instrument which would look better, too.
The Conn prototype F was quite responsive, and seemed to me to have good-enough intonation throughout the range. I would have liked to have spent more time with the instrument, but my initial impression of the sound was that it was a little "buzzy", and didn't have as clear and singing sound as I would have liked. I think that a change in valve tubing layout and bracing would solve that, and that Conn could produce the F tuba that would be the envy of manufacturers worldwide. I hope that they eventually do that.
The problem is that tubas have never been as profitable to build as smaller instruments, and manufacturers are justifiably cautious about spending a ton of money on something that may or may not be profitable. There are two ways you can cast a vote for a Conn F- 1) call your regional Conn-Selmer representative (your local music store can give you their name and phone number), and 2) when they are produced, buy one. The more tubas the company sells, the more they are likely to sink R & D funding into tubas.

Lee Stofer

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: