Re: Re: Ask question again~

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 08, 2004 at 14:51:04:

In Reply to: Re: Ask question again~ posted by dp on January 08, 2004 at 12:27:48:

I've studied under a several world-class performers at times (much to their chagrin), but I still take what they tell me and run it through my own good-sense filter. And that filter is in part honed by the information I get here, though such information is of course filtered much more heavily.

In other words, I can ask for advice with the expectation of ignoring it, unless something really brilliant comes over the transom. Or, I can ask for advice with the intention of collecting questions to force the teacher to justify his statement, which any teacher should be prepared to do (and if he isn't--that's when I'd be looking for another one).

That doesn't mean the original poster is taking a properly thoughtful approach, but assuming he is or isn't is part of that arm-chair second-guessing.

But the general statement, if quoted correctly, that the teacher has never met a good BBb tuba says more about the teacher than about tubas. It is also possible that the teacher intended so say more about the student than about tubas with his response (I believe that is your point, and to that extent I agree, that assuming such is also second-guessing).

At face value, though, it's false: There are plenty of great BBb tubas. Great CC tubas are probably easier to find in the U.S., but are also more expensive.

Rick "who thinks the misinformation might be on either end of the communication" Denney

Follow Ups: