Re: Re: Funny brand

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 09, 2004 at 10:00:09:

In Reply to: Re: Funny brand posted by Bill Guyan on January 09, 2004 at 09:33:02:

The trouble with spelling isn't accidental, I don't expect. I think they do it on purpose to avoid trademark violations in the country of sale.

Clearly, they are trying to tap into the name recognition of the famous brand. And this practice isn't limited to the Far East. "Karl Ziess" is a brand used on tubas that has nothing to do with "Carl Zeiss" the famous optical house, but I can't bring myself to believe that the similarity is unintentional. I believe the Karl Ziess tubas are Czech.

And Custom Music was using the "Sanders" label long after the demise of "Sander" or "Sandner", whoever it was they were trying to duplicate. And "F. Schmidt" sounds a lot like a horn maker of note, but I get on thin ice there.

It almost seems to be a long-standing sport of coming up with familiar but unique names for stencil brands, and the Chinese are just the latest participants, with names like "Bestler" and "Haydn". I've had more than one person ask me (based on my web page) about the quality of the German-made Haydn tuba. They assume it's German because it has a German-sounding name.

Rick "who once owned a Sanders tuba that was really a Cerveny 681" Denney

Follow Ups: