Re: Re: Tubas and Test-tubes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Philip Jensen on January 19, 2004 at 17:32:50:

In Reply to: Re: Tubas and Test-tubes posted by Leland on January 19, 2004 at 13:57:22:

As a scientist, I'd say maybe not

When people engage in scientific activities, they want to produce dependable, consistent, reproducible results.
When people make art, they want to produce something that hasn't been thought of before, or at least a new view on something familiar

I like to conduct experiments that produce dependable, consistent, reproducible results. However, I do this to generate new knowledge, that hasn't been thought of before (or at least validate others thoughts) Otherwise there would be no advancement. The thrill is in discovering something nobody else knows or has thought of.

Most of the experiments I do are fairly routine and can be a bit boring, say like playing scales, long tones, etudes, etc. But in doing these I get the results that allow me to draw conclusions and build models - you know, the really fun stuff! If I didn't do the less fun stuff then my theories and ideas wouldn't be worth the paper they are written on. Much like if I didn't practice my scales, long tones, etc, when it came time to perform, I don't think people would enjoy the results.

I know a fair number of scientist who take part in various artistic activities. I've always wondered if there is any correlation there. Then again, I know some scientist who have no artistic talents whatsover and who also tend to lack social skills (an Art?)

Maybe a new thread along these lines

Scientist with no, we're talking none here talent for some kind of art = poor social skills?
and
Artist, likewise with no talent (we're talking no logic,curiosity?) for science = poor social skills?

Maybe? Maybe not?

Follow Ups: