Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hilarious remark /website of tuba vendor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul Scott on January 19, 2004 at 18:50:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hilarious remark /website of tuba vendor posted by plain talk on January 19, 2004 at 18:11:14:

I had the same intitial reaction as many of the posters on this one. Yet there are a few things to consider. First, Mr. Jung is mentioned in Stauffer's book A Treatise on the Tuba-he was first chair with the Navy Band in the '50s. So I would guess that he knows what he wants in terms of a tuba. Second there's no denying that while the Martin is magnificent, it is also a VERY HEAVY horn, (I speak from experience!). It would definitely be a handful even for a fit 80 year-old. The profit motive isn't so clear either as the horn is not for sale-perhaps Mr. Jung wanted to keep the horn from being chain-sawed to CC. Martins don't cut so well it seems but it wouldn't stop someone from trying. I have no experience with "the proprietor" so I'm not defending or knocking him-just looking at the facts. The only thing that surprises me is that the sentence reads that the Martin was traded TOWARDS a St. Petersburg-at the very least it should have been an even trade! The Martin for a fact would draw 4,000+ easily on that auction site-a solid upright bell in silver no less! Rare as the proverbial hen's teeth.

Follow Ups: