Re: Need a Tuba piece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CajunFry on January 20, 2004 at 00:23:18:

In Reply to: Need a Tuba piece posted by Eli Clarke on January 13, 2004 at 21:58:19:

You have a very diverse selection of music for your jury rep. You have a lot of classical styles being represented, with the exception of the Vaughan Williams to some degree. In my opinion, you should probably consider a piece that is more modern and very different. One guy already mentioned the Gregson Concerto, and that is a very good choice. However, I personally recommend the Hindemith Sonate for Tuba and Piano. It's very unique and is quite a contrast to Strauss and Williams. It's one of my personal favorites. The only problem with the Hindemith is finding a piano accompanist who is willing and/or able to play the third movement. It is notorious for it's difficulty in the piano and VERY few pianists will want to play it, unless you're paying them quite handsomely or they owe you a huge favor. Other than that, it's a wonderful piece for the tuba and very well known. Ask around for other's opinions on the piece so you can get a better idea if it is the right piece for you. Hope that helps!

Anthony

Follow Ups: