Re: Re: Cerveny & Kalison reputation in USA

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on January 20, 2004 at 01:54:07:

In Reply to: Re: Cerveny & Kalison reputation in USA posted by jello on January 19, 2004 at 22:17:18:

I have to heartily disagree with the opinion on the piggy.

I had one that was very free-blowing, very in tune, and had a great sound. The only reason I didn't keep it was because I couldn't generate enough volume as the only tuba in a 45-piece community band, and still play musically. If I had to choose a CC horn as a quintet horn, it would be that one. I didn't have any problems with the wrap.

The Kalisons of yore earned a crappy reputation, but I think over the last 2-3 years, the folks at the Kalison factory have taken the criticism to heart. The DS and 2000 models were, well, pretty lousy for the most part. The 2001's are a different beast entirely. I've played 3 of the first 4 imported to the US, and they are great horns. Big, but nimble, and with a great sound. After previous experiences with DS & 2000 models, I was Quite surprised by the 2001. More than a step up for Kalison, more like a giant stride forward. The main reasons I didn't buy one were $$$ and the vendor that imports them.

Follow Ups: