Re: Re: Re: CSO York Condition?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric on January 20, 2004 at 23:58:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: CSO York Condition? posted by LO on January 20, 2004 at 14:08:07:

A lot of civil war bands have tubas (or saxhorns rather) that are from the 1860's and are perfectly playable. The civil war bands typically treat their museum-piece instruments extremely well, for instance only handling them with gloves. I think brass instruments can last at least 300 years and probably a lot longer. I routinely play my 1855 Eb bass saxhorn and although the valves do leak and clatter a bit, it performs just fine. Some of the inside tuning slide tubes and sharply bent crooks have spit at the braze, but they can be replaced. There is no corrosion or pitting ot disintegration evident at all. I dont want to end up with a horn that is like the legendary 400 year old hammer that has only had two new handles and three new heads, but brass is a very durable material.

If you really want a horn to last a long time, get it thickly gold plated inside and out. One look at King Tut's death mask is enough to convince me that gold truly does last forever. Interestingly, though, I recall that in Tut's tomb was a copper trumpet that was deeply corroded but almost in playing condition. That has to be the oldest surviving "brass" instrument.

Follow Ups: