Re: Embouchure Re-Adjustment...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mjg on January 22, 2004 at 13:26:18:

In Reply to: Embouchure Re-Adjustment... posted by Jordan Jay on January 22, 2004 at 12:59:57:

I have an embouchure that is offset. It makes playing top action horns a little awkward at times. No one ever told me to change it, however. I have dealt with a lot of brass players who won't fix it unless it is broken. If your face is indeed imparing your range, tone, etc. you should heed you instructor's advice.

With that being said, a important factor some peopl don't take into consideration are the teeth behind you chops. If your dental structure arches off-center, then shifting may be counter-productive. If you teeth are flat across the front (like mine) then you may have to slide over to catch a bit of arc where your teeth begin to wrap around.

While dead on center makes the most sense with the muscular system involved, I belive that the dental stucture behind them makes up the "skeleton" of the embouchure.

I have tried to move to dead on center, however it keeps sliding back. In your case, I would suggest a second or even a third opinion if neccessary.

Good Luck!

mjg

Follow Ups: