Re: A bass by any other name...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on January 25, 2004 at 10:48:08:

In Reply to: A bass by any other name... posted by Rick Denney on January 25, 2004 at 00:05:30:

Rick,
I've been playing and gigging on electric bass regularly for the last 20 years. I've always owned Fenders. The precision has been the standard since it came out in the early 50's. It is the perfect road guitar. You can't hardly hurt the thing, and it'll play after continuous abuse. I should mention that NEW American P-basses sell anywhere from $750-1000. Mexican made can be had for $350 and is an excellent purchase. Peavey makes good road gear too. I am inclined to agree with Dale that this could be too much, however, it depends on the vintage of the guitar and the size of the amp (what is cheapie?). My brother has a p-bass made in the 70's that weighs a TON. I'm not sure of its worth, but I personally wouldn't give 100 dollars for it, as it kills the back during 4 hour gig. I have a p-bass I use regularly that's about a year old. Very light and sounds great.

Weight is an issue for me, but may not be for you. You should check to see that the neck is not warped and the frets aren't too worn. The tone and volume controls should work well. The 1/4" jack should snugly hold the cord. If your guitar ever needs parts, they are easily purchased and installed. I haven't ever seen a Fender that was a real dog, except maybe for a puke green one I saw. If the amp is in good condition and is a decent size (not a ten watt bedroom amp), and the bass is in good condition with a case, and you can justify the $$$, it could be a good purchase. Hard to say without seeing them.

My recommendation:
If you were just starting out on bass, and wanted a Fender, I would buy a Mexican made precision. Fender Squires would be okay to learn on, and they are cheaper, but the Mex and the American can be sold later at a reasonable price. Kinda like buying a Miraphone... Anyway, it's hard to tell difference between the way the Mex plays and the way an American made plays. No one in the audience will ever know. Amps do most of the work anyway. Get a small amp to practice and have fun with. With the Mex p-bass and a modest practice amp, you will spend less money than what your uncle wants, and everything will be new and of new quality. Certain vintages of P-basses are quite desirable, as well as expensive, and some vintages are problematic, unless you want to buy parts, invest $$$ etc. I'd consider the reasons you want it, what you want to gain from it, and then choose accordingly.
Doc

Follow Ups: