Re: Tuning Slide In Leadpipe??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on January 25, 2004 at 15:36:12:

In Reply to: Tuning Slide In Leadpipe?? posted by Steven on January 23, 2004 at 19:13:35:

I wish to clear up any misunderstanding of what I was trying to say. When giving advise to someone who is considering buying an antique instrument in hopes of having a playable instrument in a modern setting, I have suggested that they be careful about buying an instrument with the leadpipe in the main tuning slide. Some of them, notably the pre-WWII Kings, played great with that sort of set-up. However, a lot of the imported and cheaper American-made instruments, particularly the ones made before 1920 when the A=440 standard was adopted, can be a nightmare for someone who has paid their money and then does not have a usable instrument. I have been through this more than once, trying to help customers with "white elephant" instruments from an auction site or yard sale that had leaking valves, were pitched somewhere between A=435 and A=438, and basically sounded like noseblow. I try to help people not be dissapointed by buying one of these.
If you've played a great pre-1920 instrument, either it happened to be made in modern pitch, or it has been modified in the last 85 or so years. My comments had nothing to do with more modern instruments, particularly the Hirsbrunners.

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: