Re: Advantage of doubling?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric on January 25, 2004 at 18:56:44:

In Reply to: Advantage of doubling? posted by Curious on January 24, 2004 at 18:08:10:

I play tuba, trombone, baritone, and trumpet, I havent noticed playing tuba improving my low register on any instrument. I started using a tuba diameter mouthpiece on bass trombone and that really helped the low register. Playing bass trombone seems to help my air support on tuba, and playing low brass seems to help my air support on trumpet.

Trumpet has helped the high register on baritone and trombone, but only because I switch embouchure to that of a trumpet when I get tired. It uses different muscles and is blown into position rather than supported by teeth, so if I have to play something that hovers way too long in the upper register or I am dead tired and have to hit that high F to end the piece, I can do it. But that's really cheating.

Trumpet is a faster moving instrument than tuba, and the written music moves faster too. Trumpet playing has really helped me overcome the mental block of speed when playing the tuba and has really helped coordinate my tongue with my fingers.

The downside to doubling is that if you have a weakness (and everybody has one) that really can't be overcome except through large amounts of practice, dividing your time amongst multiple instruments will only bring that weakness to the surface.

Follow Ups: