Re: Re: Re: Disney Collegiate Band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mjg on January 26, 2004 at 09:40:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Disney Collegiate Band posted by Leland on January 26, 2004 at 08:47:57:

It is bad for non-musicians. Especially the kids they (I don't know if they still do) would bring over from europe to work in the world showcase part of EPCOT. They would do basically anything (really) to supplement their income because the net income was so low.

I worked as a "local" guy for seasonal music stuff (X-mas & Easter). Since we already had own own place, student pay was pretty good because we were working 60+ hour weeks.

As far as workers strong-arming Disney, I don't think it will happen. The musicians union had no lasting effect on the situation down there as many jobs the parks provided simply disappeared.

Too bad the orchestra has been put on hiatus. Hopefully they keep the AACB's going. Unfortunately, the number of guys to listen to that are full timers at the parks has dwindled.

Orlando used to support something like 15 guys who played tuba. Some doubled and whatnot, but for a town (at the time) of less than 1 million in population, 15 guys earning their living playing tuba at least for some of it was fantastic. That has greatly changed mainly due to Disney policies.

I am always curious to hear about the Busch Gardens bands. They kinda do the same thing but on a smaller scale. While I am well past any sort of eligibility, I would like to hear about other opportunities in the same genre.

Follow Ups: