Re: Horn Trends

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on January 26, 2004 at 13:02:05:

In Reply to: Horn Trends posted by Observer on January 26, 2004 at 12:00:54:

Now more than ever, there are some GREAT 4/4 and 5/4 instruments available.
The prices of the 6/4 horns are astronomical.
Most people sound better in auditions on 5/4's verses 6/4's.
A 6/4 horn is a specialty instrument and impractical for small ensembles for most players.

I sold my Yorkbrunner because I did not sound good on it. I don't claim to be Mr. Jacobs on my Meinl Weston 2000, but I sound much better on it and it is way easier to play, for me. I bought the Yorkbrunner with aspirations of big auditions. It took a while for my brain to catch up with my ego and realize that although the Yorkbrunner is awefully darn cool looking, I was not mastering it. I am much happier with my current CC tuba and enjoy playing it very much. I am also much more pleased with the product I get out of it when I record myself. The Yorkbrunner and I did not gel. The guy I sold it to was going from a MW 2000 back to a Yorkbrunner. I heard him play his 2000 and my Yorkbrunner before he decide to buy it. He sounded much better on the Yorkbrunner than his 2000. Just goes to show that the player and the equipment have to be a proper match to make things easier and more enjoyable.

If I were to get one of those highly covetted 6 figure orchestral jobs in a 100+ piece orchestra, then I may again pick up a Nirschl or Yorkbrunner again. Until then that sized horn does nothing for me but to stroke my ego.

sean

Follow Ups: