Re: Re: Re: college marching band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by been there done that on January 26, 2004 at 23:22:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: college marching band posted by Biggs on January 26, 2004 at 20:27:38:

I played in marching bands in the '60s and had fun, but those were the days of new shows every week, topical humor in the narration, formations and music, and a general lack of seriousness that characterizes modern competitive marching bands and drum corps.

I had a good time doing it, but when I see what's done today, there's no way I would go near it. 'Course, I'm probably a lot more protective of my chops that I was at 18. My kids, who are far more serious musicians than I ever was, wouldn't be caught dead in a marching band, and would drop out of their school band programs if they couldn't get out of marching.

The world seems divided into (1) those who like marching bands in the old style, (2) those who like the new style marching bands, (3) those who find all marching bands risable, and (3) the vast majority who remain blissfully ignorant of marching bands (except at half-time, when they hear the band as they stand in line for hot dogs) and are utterly indifferent to the very existence of marching bands.

Follow Ups: