Re: Horn trends 4/4's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubas tubas tubas on January 26, 2004 at 23:42:13:

In Reply to: Horn trends 4/4's posted by Kyle Turner on January 26, 2004 at 20:35:30:

i couldn't agree more with playing on a tuba which allows you to create a sound you personally like. however, i believe the trend has been started with playing large horns in auditions because most of the exerpts we play would be played with an entire bass section. the committee becomes accustomed to hearing that type of "sound" and expects it. also, the exerpts asked for sectional playing tend to lean towards the louder/full end and may lack the desired depth with a 4/4 instrument. having said this, i still believe that if someone had total control of their 4/4 instrument they would pass on to the finals but would lack the depth when playing with a full section on a bruckner/mahler symphony. the curious thing is why the trend began for this desired "sound" in typically american orchestras. listen to a vienna or berlin symphony and you will notice a much different low brass sound rather than the sound of a new york or chicago. this has been an ongoing issue on this board. the overall idea is that as musicians we should strive to adapt to the desire of the committee if we wish to play in their orchestra. if the committee asks you to play shorter, louder, fuller, darker,etc would you tell them "sorry, can't do that."? of course not. the ideal situation is to find a horn which allows you to handle these situations. for me it's a 5/4 tuba. others, it's a yorkbrunner. what people don't realize is that horn size/brand doesn't matter as much as people make it to be on this board. i hear/like the sound roger bobo puts out on the LA recording of the planets much better than another recording i have where the tuba guy uses a large 6/4 instrument. has your teacher ever picked up your "small" horn and sounded just as good as they do on their own instrument? guess what....... these orchestra guys could do the same. of course they want to play on their horn.... as well as drive certain cars, wear certain shoe brands, and sit in certain chairs. why? because it's comfortable and they like it. not because someone in the neverland symphony does it that way. play on the horn which allows you to sound how you want/love to sound and for that reason only. but don't expect an orchestra to hire you just because that's the sound you love.

james

Follow Ups: