Re: Re: Mouthpiece Tinkering

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Henry on January 27, 2004 at 18:36:04:

In Reply to: Re: Mouthpiece Tinkering posted by Er... on January 27, 2004 at 16:54:55:

I hadn't realised that ex-PFC Wintergreen was based upon a real person and that he was still with us. Glad to see you're adept at dictionary use; that coupled with a Reader's Digest "Word of the Day" calendar ought to assist you in overcoming your prolixophobia in jig time.

Meanwhile;
-I apologise for my somewhat flip tone in both the original post and this reponse; no offense intended- and I'm sort of surprised that some was taken. Since the modification itself saw, IMHO, sort of vandalous on my part I felt a wee bit stupid asking about it in the first place. I figured a paragraph long sentence with multiple subphrases was apropo.
-Back to the topic; since it's an internal taper with no particular technical requirements other than that it be uniform it is easy to select the appropriate bit and grind it out quite neatly. It is basically self centering in execution. You are quite right that for most purposes "a dremel ain't it".
-Thanks for the info on the adjustable gap rcvr. As it happens, I am mainly taken aback by the fact that on neither my 50's Reynolds or the 80's Kurath is there any gap to adjust. As in most cornets the interior of the tubing from receiver to leadpipe is smooth. Sonically I agree with you absolutely; it seems to have no effect not dwarfed by any number of other factors. One might argue that a sticker on the bell would also do something to the sound...but not so's you'd notice it.
Henry

Follow Ups: