Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone knows this tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hermann Vogt on January 29, 2004 at 03:05:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone knows this tuba? posted by Hermann on January 27, 2004 at 12:15:06:

I solved the problems switching to another mouthpiece...

I played the F-tuba with the mouthpiece, which came with the borrowed 4/4 BBb-Tuba and tried yesterday a Bach-18-clone. Much better: no problems with the 4th valve and the upper limit at the 8th partitial was removed.

The mouthpiece which I used first, is a quite small and shallow mouthpiece with a small throat. May be the combination of the small throat of the mouthpiece and the small bore of the tuba (18, 18.5, 18.5, 18.5) created to much resistance for me. (On trumpet I've been playing nearly 23 years on mouthpieces with opened up throats...)

(It is the moutpiece which came with the Cerveny (labeled as Amati) Tuba from the factory and has only the letters "A 44" on it. All Amati instruments I have seen the last 30 years came with very, very small mouthpieces, the trumpet mouthpiece I have is just unplayable shallow. Is this only my oberservation? Only true for Germany? Have I seen the wrong instruments? Or has this changed after the end of the Warsaw Pact? (Due to strange inofficial exchange rates, many germans bought very instruments in Czechoslovakia for very little money up to 1990...))

Hermann Vogt

Follow Ups: