Re: Play-testing, what's it mean for you?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on July 06, 1999 at 20:09:41:

In Reply to: Play-testing, what's it mean for you? posted by Dale Phelps on July 05, 1999 at 10:31:04:

What will make a short trial much less risky is taking the time beforehand to sort out everything you're looking for in a horn -- how fast it responds, how big/small it sounds, how it tunes, how it smells, on and on and on... Spend a few years on this.

Do play on as many different ones as you can at any time anywhere, and do pick out & remember everything about them. Try them again later, and see if they're how you remember them.

If someone goes playtesting cold, not totally sure what they want to sound like, there will more likely be a problem later. Ponder, borrow, play, listen, play, ask, research, trade, play, whatever -- form an idea, form it again, re-form it, and when you have no doubt that you're right, think it over some more. THEN go forth and toot to your heart's content.

This is why I can't bring myself to thoroughly endorse any new tuba purchase to someone who hasn't been playing for at least ten years -- it's also why I always say "try it and see what you think".

Seeya,
Leland

Follow Ups: