Re: Most underrated orchestra

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Oberheu on July 07, 1999 at 00:36:36:

In Reply to: Most underrated orchestra posted by Aaron on July 04, 1999 at 22:16:18:

The orchestra that currently holds my "favorite-group-to-listen-to" position is the San Francisco Symphony. I was always told that the "Big 5" were NY, Chicago, Boston, Philly and Cleveland; so I guess San Fran was sort of an outsider from that perspective. I also enjoy the recordings of the LA Phil, especially some of the older ones with Roger Bobo on tuba.

My other favorite groups that I think are EXCELLENT but you don't hear as much about are: Detroit, St. Louis, Montreal, Pittsburgh and Dallas (I have a recording of them doing Mahler 5 that knocks my socks off!!).

And then there are "Orchestras I am most curious to hear": I would love to hear any recordings of the Quebec Symphony. All I know is that I highly respect their tubist, Lance Nagels. I had the good fortune to have some lessons with him and hear him play solo. Great guy, teacher and player! I also wouldn't mind hearing one of Vancouver's recordings. Any recommendations for either?

Steve Oberheu

Follow Ups: