Re: Compare and Contrast: MW 2155 vs. Pt-6

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ben on July 07, 1999 at 21:16:44:

In Reply to: Compare and Contrast: MW 2155 vs. Pt-6 posted by Brett W. on July 07, 1999 at 14:37:55:

I don't think this is an appropriate comparison, though I dd at one point. Though the 2155 is considered by many as a 5/4 instrument, I fell it is squarely in the 4/4 catagory. In my opinion, the PT-6 is a 5/4 tuba. The B&S is quite a bit larger than the 2155, and I think this limits its versatility. I know personally of only one big pro who uses a PT-6 in quintet settings, and that is only because he has no other instrument to fit the bill. I love both of these horns. I feel the PT-6 is a great horn for orchestral settings, especially for Brahms, Bruckner, or Franck Sym in Dmin, etc. It is a good replacement for those using or desiring the large Alexander CC's. The PT-6 is wonderful for that arena, but is just too big for any small ensemble or solo work.
I recently purchased a 2155. After playing both my 2155, PT-6, and a PT-6P(which was a bad instrument) I went with the Meinl. For my money, it provided me with a very versatile horn that I plan to use for all types of work including solo. I didn't feel confident about the B&S because it was to big.
To cut to the chase, if you need a good orchestral horn, but not a 6/4, then the PT-6 is the right choice. If you need a great all around tuba, then I believe the 2155 is the best thing out there. As a side note, the PT-6s I've played were no where near in tune, while the 2155 I bought requires minimal adjustments and slots really well in tune.

Follow Ups: