Re: MW question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark E. Chachich on July 08, 1999 at 11:21:06:

In Reply to: MW question posted by Winton on July 07, 1999 at 21:23:26:

I use a Meinl Weston 32 as my "small tuba" for quintets, etc... My opinion is that these are excellent tubas; however, a few notes on what I found with mine. The 32 has a good low range, but I had to learn to be somewhat reserved when playing it and then the tuba's sound and dynamic range "opened up" (a slower, more gentle airstream was needed, at first I tried playing it like my Alexander and it "backed up"). The sound, intonation and response through all ranges of the 32's that I have played are very consistant. These are some of the easiest tubas to play that I have ever found.
Just some side notes, these tubas have been used by some very fine tubists; including the tubist in Philidelphia when he first got his job (I still can't spell Paul's last name, sorry), Bill Krantz (former tubist Naval Acadamy Band), Scott Tarabor (former tubist Naval Acadamy Band), Warren Deck many years ago (see the article a couple of years ago in the TUBA Journal) and others. These tubas are very versitile. The Meinl Weston 32 was one of the most popular tubas when I was an undergraduate (1970's), a lot of Connie Weldon's students played them and I understand that many of William Bell's students used them. Please feel free to e-mail me if you want to talk about Meinl Weston 32's.

have fun with your 32!
Mark E. Chachich
t570466(AT)vm.sc.edu

Follow Ups: