Re: Sound before anything.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd Morgan on July 10, 1999 at 09:37:01:

In Reply to: Sound before anything..... posted by Art on July 10, 1999 at 01:06:14:

Well, my belief is that sound is definately the most important aspect. When I play a horn and test what it can do I FIRST and foremost check out the tone of the instrument across the range. Intonation for me has always been something that I have found to be something that becomes better between you and your instrument with time. Like, I have only had my Yamaha F tuba for a month and a half and when I just started teaching at a music camp I noticed I had some intonation issues. So, I adjusted to the group, to the tuner, to the music, etc. After only 2 weeks my intonation is more consistant. Sure...I pull slides...I use alternates if I have to. No where to my knowledge is it written that alternate positions are a bad thing. I have learned them and used them many times. If it works....you do it. If wearing a funny hat brings my pitch more up to tune....I'll put the hat in my gig-bag. Bottom line for me, "intonation happens" It's my JOB as a player to work with what I've got and make it perfect.

Facility on the instrument....absolutely is of importance. But my opinion...a horn doesn't determine facility....the player does. That is why we practice folks!

Follow Ups: