Re: Tuba Players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 13, 1999 at 22:52:05:

In Reply to: Tuba Players posted by Tim on July 13, 1999 at 15:27:41:

As a professional player who has owned a Yamaha and played on many others, I can say with complete honesty that I would never own any of Yamaha's current line of CC or BBb tubas. The bottom line is that they are inferior to other available products for my needs. The Yamaha I did own (YEB-321S) was a fine instrument for what it did but it had definite limitations that led me to purchase another instrument. Can you honestly say it can even compare to a tuba like the Willson Eb? Obviously, the Willson is more expensive but I don't see Yamaha making any tuba to compete in that league. The opinions stated earier about Yamaha's priority of cost efficiency are good ones. A very good illustration of what I mean is the "5th valve" that was offered on the YEB-321. For a short time, Yamaha offered an optional 5th valve on the 321 that was mounted in the 4th valve slide. I played a couple of these and they were horrible! It seemed to me insulting that they would even suggest such a design as legitimate. Also, I have a real problem with a company that tells its suppliers that they can't advertise the prices of their products in a catalog (i.e. Brasswind's Catalog).

I think most musicians see Yamaha products for what they are, a cost effective alternative for most, but not all, types of instruments. But very few, if any of Yamaha's products are the industry standard for their type and I don't see any manufacturers scrambling to make copies of Yamaha's designs, just their manufacturing techniques. On the contrary, it seems that Yamaha is the company doing the copying (i.e. the YEB-632S vs. the Besson 982). And as Yamaha's prices continue to rise, as they have done steadily for the last 15 years, their products can no longer be considered as inexpensive alternatives and have to be compared directly to the more expensive, and better (in my opinion) competition.

Please don't bother to flame me, all you YFB-822 owners out there because I'm very well aware of what a fine tuba that F is. In fact, it is one of the finest F's I've ever played and probably Yamaha's finest tuba product. But remember what I do for a living. Doing mostly orchestral work and very little solo work, means that the Eb I have is all the small horn I need. Besides, the truth is I've played better F tubas than the Yamaha. Just my opinion.

I hope these are enough "facts" to base my "pittiful" opinions on. I hope other Yamaha employees (if you are indeed one) are more open to a real dialogue which might result in a constructive exchange of ideas that might actually help them make better and more desirable instruments. Of course, personal attacks and insults are not going to be met with anything but contempt...

Follow Ups: