Re: the desperate auditioner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on July 14, 1999 at 23:25:00:

In Reply to: the desperate auditioner posted by Winton on July 14, 1999 at 04:31:08:

Well,
The right thing to say is that you should just let the tape roll and do your thing, just like a live audition. Most teachers are looking for good tone, rhythmn, and intonation, and sometimes the not-as-perfect player can beat out one of these perfection (Hey I played all the notes completely in tune w/ my tuner etc.) guys.
But of course the flip side is that, hey this is really competitive and I need this money to go to school. What I would do is record yourself playing each of the etudes a few times, then try to find the one that shows off your skills the best. You could mix and match parts of the etudes, but I'm not sure if that is really fair to all of the people who auditioned in person (They only got one shot). I think above all go easy on yourself, try to listen without remembering how that take went, and choose what best represents you (If that involves a few clipped notes, so be it). I know when I record an audition I listen to it a day or two after it happens, so I can listen with a clear head and not on an emotional level.

I hope this helped,
p.s. I've heard that Dave is a great teacher, best of luck to you
Bill

Follow Ups: