Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: possible easy solution 2 Jay's pet peeve

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt W. on July 15, 1999 at 15:35:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: possible easy solution 2 Jay's pet peeve posted by Gerald J. on July 15, 1999 at 11:20:08:

I've studied some theory of acoustics. Conclusion: I know where sound comes from, but it is still trial and error that teaches me what causes what change to a horn. And I've had some expensive, time consuming learning experiences. I also watch this list because of the occasional good insight.
So, the gap is best discribed as a fulcrum point. The large lip movement is compressed into a dense sound mass that the horn (a big megaphone) then amplifies. What is easier to balance, a pencil on the edge of a razor blade (venturi with no flat spot), or a pencil on the flat spot of another [hexagonal] pencil? A little gap will give you a more "slotted or centered" articulation. Too much gap at the fulcrum will make a stiff or hard to slur horn. Less gap and you will find it easy to bend notes, slur smoother, but have airy attacks. That is why I believe in matching a horn to a person's personal atriculation tendencies.
Just my personal observations after listening to hundreds of different players.

Follow Ups: