Re: 1st time buyer--so many choices

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Paul on July 17, 1999 at 04:30:55:

In Reply to: 1st time buyer--so many choices posted by T. Lathon on July 17, 1999 at 02:19:07:

I guess that you tried out the Perantucci's at Custom Music. Custom Music is somewhat hostile towards non-Perantucci B&S products,of which the Mel Culbertson is one.
Of course I must append the following comment: Custom Music is definitely not overly fond of me, and vice versa.
The Mel Culbertson rotary valve model is,by all accounts, an excellent horn, and, for the price ($7,495) it is a bargain. However, the piston valve version is supposed to be an inferior copy of the PT-7P, especially according to Custom Music.
A quick hop over to the VMI/B&S site reveals that the PT-7P has a factory model number of 4198,while the Brasswind has advertised the piston Culbertson as model 5198. This would seem to indicate that they are not, in fact, the same horn. However, given the Brasswind catalog's many typos over the years, it could just be a mistake.
But, the VMI catalog does not list a model 5198. So maybe they are the same horn; but there are the many testimonials of players that have stated that they are not the same horn,and that the piston valve Culbertson is an inferior instrument.
You decide.
Personally, if I were going to buy a big horn, and I didn't ,(because I certainly don't),have the money for a Nirschl or a Hirsbrunner, I would look at two options: The Rudy Meinl model 50, and the various 5/4 Cerveny horns. As Mr. Bertolet has mentioned many times, the Cerveny models can be modified so that they are excellent horns, and the Rudy's qualities are well-known.
However, since you say this is your first purchase, I guess that you are somewhere around college age. You can probably get student loans to pay for an instrument if you are in college. If you are a professional, contact your local union office about a loan.
And, if you are college age, don't forget the best source of money: relatives.
Hit up your parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles,etc. for money to buy a horn.Who knows,one of them may actually give you some money.

Follow Ups: