Re: Re: Doubling and bass players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRTapes on July 19, 1999 at 10:18:56:

In Reply to: Re: Doubling and bass players posted by Joe S. on July 19, 1999 at 09:52:38:

I don't think we end up as tuba players because we CAN, I think we end up as tuba players because we love it. The rest of the orchestra or band never seems to understand the beauty of playing bass lines. To me it's just something inside a person. While Sousa marches can get old quickly, I think we take them on as part of our "chores" as a tuba player, waiting for our chances to shine. (like Saint's Hallelujah) If we're not there at rehearsal, the group notices things don't sound right, but they can't believe that missing the tuba player would make much difference. But this is fading from the subject.

Joe, it would seem then that you fall into the category I suggest. I only ponder this because I know flute players, and clarinet players, and french horn players, and none of them have this need to play anything but their chosen instrument, yet we bass players do. I also think that because we play the bass lines, we understand how the whole thing works and because others don't play bass lines, they just don't get it.

Playing the tuba, one might be the bass on one piece, the percussion on the next, the rhythm on the next, and the melody on the last piece. Can any other section boast of such flexibility ?

Follow Ups: