Re: Mahler Symphonies.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Oberheu on July 19, 1999 at 16:19:52:

In Reply to: Mahler Symphonies. posted by Dan Bryce on July 19, 1999 at 15:13:22:

Here's my 3 favorites:

Mahler 2- Blomstedt/San Francisco; 1994; this recording is great! The recording session was in '92 just after they finished revamping Davies Hall. The recording quality really adds to the depth of sound inherent in the piece. I'm not sure if Floyd Cooley played on this one or if he was filling in for Pokorny in Chicago at the time. Whoever it was, it was really good. The 5th movement, especially the brass chorale about 6 minutes into it, totally left me in awe! VERY moving!

Mahler 5- Litton/Dallas; '92??; live recording; my favorite recording of the 5th Symphony currently in my collection. David Bilger, now with Philadelphia, had lead trumpet responsibilities and blew me away! The interpretations on this recording are wonderful!

Mahler 8- Solti/Chicago; I think it was in the 70's/early 80's; Jacobs on tuba. Wow...I'll let the recording speak for itself. I found it hard to move after listening to it because I was so overwhelmed.

Steve Oberheu

Follow Ups: