Re: Buzzing on trumpet mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on July 21, 1999 at 10:04:05:

In Reply to: Buzzing on trumpet mouthpieces posted by Scott on July 20, 1999 at 20:56:55:

When I started teaching elementary band, I started playing the instruments along with the students, Which meant I was playing trumpet, french horn, trombone, etc every day with my students. It actually helped me focus my embouchure more even when I went back to the big horn and mouthpiece which I play professionally (I would never play trumpet and french horn in public!)
I had developed some bad habits over the years of not keeping a firm centered embouchure on the tuba. When I started to play the smaller mouthpiece instruments I found you have to keep the embouchure very firm and centered or you can not play them at all (It seems so obvious to me now!) When I applied this to my tuba and trombone playing the difference was amazing. (Of course this could have also been the result of simply just playing and buzzing my lips more too!)
Don't get me wrong the embouchure is not as tight as on trumpet etc, but still you must keep the corners firm and not puff the cheeks etc. Stuff you probably have heard since the beginning, but for some reason it just never sunk in until I figured it out for myself. A little trumpet playing in moderation might be able to help just because as I said you really have to focus the buzz to the center of the embouchure and it could help clear up your tuba sound as long as you do not go over board and close the mouth and/or throat, and keep the air moving freely without tension.
I always hesitate to try to explain playing techniques over the internet for fear of confusing someone more than they already are. Hopefully that is not the case here today. ken k

Follow Ups: