citations - "Physics of Brasses, et al."

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark E. Chachich on July 26, 1999 at 17:48:48:

One of the repeated threads on this BBS is about the physics of tubas. I just found my copy of the Scientific American series "The Physics of Music", so I will post the citations for those who are interested (I think that these are excellent articles).

Entire Series, includes 1.) Physics of Music, 2.) The acoustics of the Singing Voice,
3.)The Physics of the Piano, 4.)The Physics of Wood Winds, 5.) The Physics of Brasses,
6.) The Physics of Violins, 7.)The Physics of the Bowed String, and 8.)Architectural
Acoustics:

The Physics of Music, Readings from the Scientific American, Scientific American
W.H. Freeman and Company
660 Market Street Road, San Francisco, California 94104 (although this is an old address, they are most likely still there, if not the address will be in the newest issue)
ISBN 0-7167-0095-6
Note, this may be out of print.

For those that want to find the articles about brass instruments in the library (any university library should have them):

"Physics of Brasses" by Arthur H. Benade
published in the July 1973 issue.

"The Physics of Music" by Fredrick A. Saunders (has some information about brass instruments, the ear and room acoustics).
published in the July 1948 issue

enjoy,
Mark E. Chachich
t570466(AT)vm.sc.edu

Follow Ups: