Re: Re: MW2165 for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Sturgeon on July 28, 1999 at 13:15:54:

In Reply to: Re: MW2165 for sale posted by Paul Evans on July 28, 1999 at 11:48:17:

Hello Paul,

The VMI and the 2165 are, of course, to different beasts all together. It has been about 4 or 5 years since I tried a Neptune. First of all, my personal preference is for piston valves over rotors. From what I remember in comparing the two, this particular 2165 has more of a core to the sound which helped it to penetrate through the orchestra better. I think the Neptune I played on was less weighty and had a bit more edge on the sound. This 2165 has very focused "slots" all around in the partials and the fingered notes. The Neptune I played had more lip play in individual notes. I believe the 2165 is physically a heavier instrument as well. I mentioned that it still contains the tone ring in the bell which adds about 3 pounds to the horn its self. Many 2165 owners have optioned to take out the ring for better response and more overtones in the upper register. This is not difficult to do. Response on the 2165 is probably not as fast as it is on the Neptune. However, it's not slow either. I suppose all of this is a bit like comparing apples and oranges so of course the best thing to do is try both particular horns out. This is, however, not always practical so maybe the easier thing to do is to go to Brasswind, Custom Music or Baltimore Brass Company and try these tubas for yourself. This 2165 has served me and Jeff Funderburk very well and I have also used it in larger brass ensembles with great success. Incidentally, I did own a B&S PT-7P before the 2165 and I would prefer this 2165 hands down over it. I have also tried some real dogs of 2165's which steered me in other directions in the past as well. Anyway, I hope this helps some and if you are interested in coming to try the 2165, let me know. I'm in the Dallas/FortWorth area.

Sincerely,

Ken Sturgeon

Follow Ups: