Re: Re: Laquer removal!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by J.S. on July 31, 1999 at 21:15:32:

In Reply to: Re: Laquer removal!!! posted by Chuck on July 31, 1999 at 11:10:58:

I have mentioned the heavy-bodied type of stripper, as discussed by Chuck, before. Since it is summertime, I would recommend doing this at around 5:00 A.M. and/or in the shade, an open garage, or carport. You need ventilation and warmth, but what you DON'T need is direct sunlight, and really excessive heat. Sunlight will dry out the stripper too fast making it pretty much inactive, and that stuff IS expensive.

Don't be stingy when applying the stripper to the lacquer. Blob it on pretty good. Also, remember that stripper is REALLY REALLY bad stuff to get on your skin, and in your lungs.

Before the lacquer thinner (also bad for your skin and lungs) cleaning routine, you might just "jet" the "dead" stripper off of the tuba with a high-pressure garden hose. If you have a garden hose that is pure rubber (can withstand heat without the brass fittings popping off) and can be hooked up to the drain on your hot water tank (to jet HOT water on to the tuba) that will do an even better job, BUT DON'T SCALD YOURSELF WITH HOT WATER!!!

Disclaimer: Most of the procedures outlined above are dangerous. I personally like the furniture stripper place idea a lot better.

Follow Ups: