Re: tuning slide stick... THE SEQUEL!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 01, 2000 at 21:57:18:

In Reply to: tuning slide stick... THE SEQUEL!!! posted by steve dedman on July 01, 2000 at 18:56:25:

My experience has been that the distance the shank goes into the receiver definitely affects intonation. The problem with wrapping tape around the mouthpiece shank as a test is that the end of the mouthpiece won't be absolutely flush in the receiver unless you wrap the tape at the very end of the mouthpiece. I would try and find someone with a stock Helleberg before trying the tape thing. Also, you could trial the mouthpiece, in addition to others, from Brasswind and if you don't like 'em, return 'em. Not to be disagreeable, but I find different mouthpieces can make a world of difference in the intonation of a given tuba. If I were you, I would definitely try several mouthpieces to find the one that matches both you and the horn.

I would suggest two alternatives to your water key problem. First off, why not just get used to it? I had this same situation on my Cervany 601 and all it takes is rolling the horn a bit when you empty so the the water key hole is at, or near, the bottom. If this is too much for you, you could always redrill the hole and move the key to a spot more to your liking. Just be careful that the process doesn't put the hole at a nodal point!

My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: