Re: popularizing the tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rommel Cordova on July 04, 2000 at 10:29:31:

In Reply to: popularizing the tuba posted by james on July 03, 2000 at 23:58:06:

As a band director and professional player, It is amazing to me that I still meet people in the music profession and out of the music profession that do not realize how capable the tuba is as a solo instrument. I used to live in the East Texas area (Tyler, Tx.) and very few band directors had any clue what the tuba was capable of. I worked very hard to promote our wonderful instrument and prove to people that it was just as wonderful a solo instrument as a trumpet, flute, etc. I have performed as a guest artist with high school and college bands in the area as well as performing guest recitals. I strive to continue doing that not only to promote myself as a performer, but to promote the tuba and the wonderful literature which has been written for it. The next project i am hoping to do is perform a recital this fall of some of the solos which are on the UIL contest list. It is important that we do whatever we can to show everyone that our instrument is not inclined to just sitting in the back of the band. That means geting out there and doing it. Perform a guest recital at a local high school or middle school. Talk to some band directors and ask them if you can peform a solo with their band at the spring concert. Do the same with any community band or orchestra in the area. The more of us that do things like this, the more people will realize what a great instrument the tuba is and what it can do. Remember, it has been guys like Bill Bell, Harvey Phillips, Roger Bobo, and Dan Parentoni that helped to propel the tuba to the stature where it is today, we must continue what they started to ensure its place as a prominant solo instrument in the future. That is my opinion.

Rommel

Follow Ups: