Re: Re: high schooler buying a tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on July 07, 2000 at 15:20:47:

In Reply to: Re: high schooler buying a tuba posted by Farah Chisham on July 07, 2000 at 13:25:29:

I am very glad that a non-tubist is pretty much along the lines laid out by the less biased board contributors on the St. Petersburg theme.

My specific opinion can be found longer down the main BBS.

From my experiences through quite a number of years teaching brass, I sadly must say, that the highest level of responsibility among kids was not found among boys (not talking of musical talent, where gender is not a theme at all). You should have got the spine to care for your instrument. A stand might be a good idea instead of the banging of the bell against the floor.

If you, tubagirl, have the chance to get one of the "German" St. Pete’s with honed valves, German leverage system, and the German laquer, then you should definitely go for it. I have tried such one, and the precise reason for not buying that model is specified in one of my postings. And that reason is strictly related to a special lung condition of mine, which makes me a low-pressure, high-volum-of-flow player.

That is not a general situation to tuba players, so you might very well be exactly a type, that could benefit from the parameters of the St. Pete design.

One extra benefit of the German Pete is the case, which is the best compromise I ever have met between price, rigidity, rollability, portability, and a plain smart look.

Of course you will have to do research on various themes like currency, customs, VAT, airfreight, and a lot more, but you will mature during the process or you will develop a personal network.

For copyright reasons I am reluctant to transmit a magazine shot, which shows, that this tuba is the one that the young talents of Russia have to live with. And I never heard any decent person ridiculing Russian musicianship.

All the best

Klaus

Follow Ups: