Re: Convertable BBb Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob Perelli-Minetti on July 11, 2000 at 15:55:23:

In Reply to: Convertable BBb Tubas posted by Kendall Prinz on July 11, 2000 at 00:24:24:

I agree with Bill that overall the best sounding solution to the marching tuba question is a good brass sousaphone, specifically Conn 20K or King 2341 in terms of what's still made, older Conn 14K (not the small bore model of recent years) or equivilent large American brass sousaphones from Holton, Martin or York. Sousaphones are a lot easier on players to carry and play on the march than those on the shoulder things. The sousaphone design has been around for over 100 years now and dominates the marching band bass section for good reason. I have always regarded the convertible marching tuba as rather akin to the battlecruiser: not heavy enough for the line of battle, but too expensive for what it was designed to do.

I suspect, however, reason your friend wants convertibles is to save money by having one set of horns do double duty: both marching season and concert season. Even if the Kanstul horns touted by some are adequate marching horns, they are unlikely to be adequate concert horns. I would guess the Kanstuls are relatavely expensive. I think your friend would be better off for his money getting used (reconditioned) 4 valve concert tubas and used (reconditioned) top line sousaphones than a set of the shiny Kanstul hybrids.

Follow Ups: