Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: F Tuba: American or German?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 12, 2000 at 22:18:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: F Tuba: American or German? posted by Jason on July 12, 2000 at 20:15:50:

Hey, relax! You are absolutely entitled to your own opinion and it was a good point you made. Actually, I should have been more clear but my post was getting so long I was looking for places to shorten it up. Thus "the works of Berlioz" instead of "most of the works of Berlioz except Fantastique" etc.

I agree, period ensembles do a great service to us as performers. It gives us a valuable insight into what the composer actually had in mind when working. It also tells us what he actually heard at the first performances and in this light we can better understand his reactions. I've heard of only a couple of times when players tried Fantastique on actual ophicliedes. It really changes the sound of the piece, especially the Dies Irae section. I've been debating this same question regarding the use of a Cimbasso in the opera pit. Verdi's comments are quite clear in their distaste for the tuba. And since we play at least one Verdi opera every year...

I think the pursuit of being true to the composer's intentions is a difficult but worthy pursuit. Tempering our modern sensibilities with an eye backward can be very enlightening as to the true nature of a piece. I try my best to give a historically accurate interpretation where possible while still preserving my identity. A very tight rope to walk!

People can disagree without arguing! Some actually LEARN from the experience. Keep the discussion coming!

My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: