Re: Re: Re: American brass playing and ethnocentrism

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on July 13, 2000 at 16:44:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: American brass playing and ethnocentrism posted by Rick Denney on July 13, 2000 at 14:03:28:

Two names I never see mentioned here when this subject comes up.

Josef Baszinka, principal tuba with the Budapest Festival Orchestra, has done a solo album called "Waves" issued about three years ago (Hungariton 31642) in which he plays the #### out of all the virtuoso hot shot pieces from the past 30 years or so, going back to Kraft Encounters II, and including Steven's Sisyphus with an ensemble of highly accomplished colleagues. He manages to include a few works written for him that aren't bad. Last year I heard him play with his orchestra in Carnegie Hall, a program that included Petrouchka, and Bartok's 2nd Piano Concerto. He wailed! And the orchestra - in all sections - is first rate.

And there's Adi Hershko of the Israel Philharmonic. He's done a solo CD which he sells himself, and for which hasn't yet gained global distribution. I've carried it at my store on consignment, whenever practical. It's hard to get, but you can easily check him out on the IPO's recording of Mahler 6th under Mehta, Teldec 98423. This recording prompted a Gramophone reviewer to single him out (by instrument) for extremely favorable attention. And for once the reviewer was right. Adi took lessons from Gene, and got a scholarship to come here for a year, mainly with Tommy Johnson, but also took lessons from Roger Bobo, and Arnold Jacobs. His main horn in the orch now is the Yorkbrunner, but you can check him out on his Mirafone 186 (if you have DVD video) on a live Bruckner 8th under Mehta from Alte Oper Frankfurt in 1987 (Image 5800). I do wish you could all hear a "homemade" of his performance of the John Williams with Mehta/IPO last winter.

Both these guys are MAJOR TALENTS at the very least.

Follow Ups: