Re: Holton 6/4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by T. J. Ricer on July 13, 2000 at 21:37:27:

In Reply to: Holton 6/4 posted by debuse on July 13, 2000 at 21:17:43:

I play a Holton 6/4 CC (Rusk cut) and absolutly love it. . . It is amazingly nimble for such a large horn. . . It is the only CC tuba I play at the moment and have used it for solo, tuba quartet, brass quintet, dixieland, wind ensemble, and (of course) orchestra (full spectrum from university orchestra to smaller community orchestra to major symphony orchestra). . . Your milage may vary. . . Not saying that this is the perfect all around horn, but you can make due. . . If possible I would hold onto the Mirafone and use this horn as an addition, there are times I wouldn't mind having a different horn for different sound concepts (and the fact that it kills my back when I do all day standing gigs). . . I definatly prefer this horn to the big horns on the market, the only one that I thought came close was the Walter Nirschl York, but I think the intonation is better on the Holton and as you know you can grab a vintage Holton for half the price of a Nirchl. . . Of course, try the horns you are looking at. . . The BBS can give you their experiences, but can't say what will work for you. . . sorry to get a little rambly. . . . I guess the whole point is I say check out those Holtons, you may be surpised (but remember it's not going to be shiny and new if that matters to you, but no horn is going to look shiny and new forever and I find it's much less tramatic to dent a horn that already has a few dings than it is on a brand spanking new horn)

T. J. "surprisinly long winded today" Ricer

Follow Ups: