Re: Clueless in Mississippi

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on July 13, 2000 at 23:55:25:

In Reply to: Clueless in Mississippi posted by Brad Martin on July 13, 2000 at 23:35:50:

Where in Mississippi? I am in Memphis, and last year I taught the tuba majors at the University of Mississippi. (Unfortunately I had to beg off, as I cannot spend one day a week in Oxford and expect my music store to do as well as it could.) My daughter will be in her junior year as an oboe performance major at Eastman this year. Your studio teacher will be Mr. Don Harry of the Buffalo Philharmonic. He is a Native American (incidentally), has an incredible sense of humor, is very good natured, and has a desire to bring his students along towards specified goals regardless of their starting points.

During the summer months, as a wind instrument music store owner, I am insanely busy. However, I could meet with you once if you happen to be in Memphis or if you live in northern Mississippi. My daughter will return to Memphis (from a summer orchestra job in Santa Barbara, CA) for the last half of August. You could ask her virtually any question about Eastman School of Music, expectations, and curriculum. There is also a tuba Eastman guy named Steve who checks this bbs periodically. He might have been in his senior year and may have just graduated.

Congratulations, good luck, and be prepared to work as you've never worked before, both musically - through Mr. Harry along with your ensemble coaches and conductors, and academically - when involved in those tough University of Rochester courses.

PLEASE avoid the Pinocchioistic temptations of freshman college life...The monetary expense of your educational experience there is simply far to high to squander.

Follow Ups: