Re: Re: Re: American brass playing and ethnocentrism

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Another Anon on July 14, 2000 at 07:35:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: American brass playing and ethnocentrism posted by Anon-y-mus on July 14, 2000 at 02:56:54:

I was going to respond to the original post right away, but I thought I'd better sit back and see what the pros have to say. A lot insightful remarks, and most I believe to be fairly accurate.
I'd like to respond to the "amazing performances" however, by saying it is amazing that they get away with with drowning out, covering up, or simply blowing away the rest of the ensemble! (Here's my DISCLAIMER: I personally love the sound of big brass, a la CSO etc., so I'm not saying this is bad, just that some of the current conductors must have a different sound concept than some of the composers originally intended. I know the modern orchestra has evolved, as have players' and listeners' tastes... sorry, I don't know what I'm getting at here, just trying not to offend anyone, because this is another great thread!)
So anyway, here's what I was originally gonna write yesterday morn:
"Better? No. Louder? Yes."
I'm gonna go pop in Bruckner 7 with the Vienna Phil under Karajan and get ready for work.
See ya when the dust settles!

Follow Ups: