Re: American brass playing and ethnocentrism

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on July 15, 2000 at 01:33:20:

In Reply to: American brass playing and ethnocentrism posted by A. Nonymous on July 13, 2000 at 07:08:07:

My US$0.02 --

I don't know why, but the impression I get listening to recordings of US ensembles (noting that Canada can be grouped into "America" the same way Mexico can) is a lot of "Me me me me me", while most overseas ensembles sound as if they put the ensemble first and aren't about to cater to the egos of the principal players.

Maybe it's the studio engineering, maybe it's the actual playing, maybe it's because I need to hear more recordings, or maybe it's because I need to hear more live performances. Whatever it is, I've found it more rewarding to listen to a whole section or ensemble romp with great precision and energy than to listen to a principal [name an instrument] rip through the texture.

For me, the qualities of a "better" player include a great sense of responsibility to the ensemble and the work being performed. I couldn't care less for a magnificent lead player that has the capability to bury the other 60 people on stage -- and does it regularly.

Follow Ups: