Re: Re: Re: American brass playing and ethnocentrism

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by One more thing on July 15, 2000 at 02:03:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: American brass playing and ethnocentrism posted by Anon-y-mus on July 14, 2000 at 02:56:54:

Regardless of whether or not you think Vienna is a better overall orchestra than some of the big Americans isn't important. And can't be judged since its all up to personal taste. American and European orchestras have there strengths and weaknesses...American are associated with ego's and not as much team playing, however I've heard European brass sections blow the crap out of stuff....I think its more of a "brass thing" then an "American thing", true it might happen a bit more over here, but have you heard Chicago live just as many times as you've heard Berlin? Whoever brought up conductors taste nailed it...its not always necessarily the brass players decision to obliterate or play too softly...case in point....New York Phil under Zubin Mehta...New York Phil for the first few years under Masur....And the loudest brass playing I've heard on a CD came from the Israel Phil doing Mahler 6/Mehta....granted, much was due to recording blah blah, but the brass literally killed the orchestra in more than a few spots. American brass does have a certain style differences over Europeans, but it has nothing to do with volume.

Follow Ups: