Re: buying a new tuba--high school

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on July 17, 2000 at 23:37:10:

In Reply to: buying a new tuba--high school posted by ken g on July 17, 2000 at 13:55:14:

Not much to add here. Yes, the VMI 2103 is the real deal. Everything VMI does is well made and they play as good as any BBb in your price range. If I were a band director I wouldn't feel like I was cheating my students at all by saving a grand buying these horns. If what another poster has indicated about the VMI's ruggedness is true that may weigh on my decision. It depends on your students but I personally wouldn't have any extra fear associated with owning a VMI as long as the typical precautions were made. i.e. Tubas always go back to the same closet at end of rehearsal and are never sat on bell without leaning against something stable.

I would also add the Mienl Weston 25 to my list. It is only $400 more than the Miraphone. The Miraphone will most likely be easier for most highschoolers to get around on right off the bat(great out of box experience) but, in my humble opinion, they don't grow with the player the way a Mienl Weston will. The Mienl has the potential, with a little extra work from a dedicated student, to have a much more exciting sound. Both are equally well made, have similarly acceptable intonation and are capable of filling the same roles.

I wouldn't worry at all about rotory horns in the hands of highschoolers. Perhaps once a year it would be wise to have them cleaned properly or learn to do this yourself. Even that isn't overly necesary. The horns I played in highschool hadn't been cleaned or oiled for twenty years except(i presume) for when it was sent off to a repair shop for the occasional dent work.

Good luck!
joseph

Follow Ups: