Re: Re: Re: Re: Survey: How has the music world changed?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan - read this, economist! on July 19, 2000 at 16:34:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Survey: How has the music world changed? posted by Sean Chisham on July 19, 2000 at 14:50:54:

Never mind Sean, looked further down in the resume and found Netware.
Here's the problem with the computer industry the way I see it - no matter what you learn, in several years you can throw it out and start all over again. Nine years ago, I was doing mainframe stuff that is now completely obselete. Five years ago, I was going LAN stuff that is now obsolete. What I do now is already on the way out. As to the poster who recommended Java - How soon will it be before Java becomes extinct? Fortunately you don't have to throw your tuba out every three years and learn a new instrument from scratch. I am sick of having to reinvent myself every couple of years just to keep making a living in the computer field.
A few years ago before Y2K hysteria, many Cobol and other mainframe language programmers couldn't get jobs, and after the Y2K work died down, there is now even less work for programmers of older languages. Economist must be very naive and out for nothing more than a quick buck. Although hot today, his Java will probably be useless the week after next.

Good for doing what you did, Sean!!

Maybe someday I will have the guts to do the same.

Marty 'freelance network consultant' Neilan

Follow Ups: