Re: Re: Survey: How has the music world changed?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 19, 2000 at 16:43:21:

In Reply to: Re: Survey: How has the music world changed? posted by A Guy in CA on July 19, 2000 at 11:22:39:

Well, if the Phillip Jones Brass Ensemble shows up at Wolftrap, I'll be first in line for tickets. Since that's not gonna happen, I'll have to settle for the CD.

I buy CD's of groups that I'll never hear, playing music that is rarely played. Most visits to the local symphony (I was a season-ticket holder continuously for 15 years until my move to Virginia, when the expense was too high considering the number of performances I'd have to miss) have been greeted with yet another performance of--yawn--Beethoven or Mozart. Some orchestras are better than others at interesting programming, of course.

Case in point: I've only heard Vaughan Williams's symphonies live on three occasions, and two of them were of the same work. If I'm within 200 miles of a performance of one of those works, and I know about it, I'll go. Even if it's the local amateur group.

Rick "Do people not go because there's nothing to go to, or is there nothing to go to because people don't go?" Denney

Follow Ups: